Kyushu University and the University of Malaya will host the 12th ASEAN in Today’s World (AsTW) Program 2020.
AsTW is a two-week study program at the undergraduate level, designed to deepen understandings of ASEAN and East Asian affairs. Since 2009, the Kyushu University has organized the program with our partner universities in ASEAN countries, in cooperation with the ASEAN Secretariat and – the ASEAN University Network (AUN). In 2020, AsTW will be held from 22 February to 5 March 2020 at University of Malaya. Applicants from ASEAN countries and the rest of the world are welcome. The medium of instruction is English.
The program consists of two study areas which are the ASEAN Studies (AS) and the Asian Languages & Culture (ALC). This program also incorporates a series of study excursions that give unique experiential learning to participants to learn more about multi-culturalism of Malaysia through cultural immersion activities.
- Applicant must be registered undergraduate (preferably) or a graduate student at home institution and fulfil the following criteria.
- Over 18 years old;
- Possess good academic standing (has the equivalent of a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) score of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 or a B or a 7.5 out of 10);
- Fluent in English language for academic purposes;
- Will continue study at home university after completing the AsTW program
Students who are interested to join the program must submit their application by 27 October 2019 (for ASEAN & Non-ASEAN countries except Japanese Students) together with the following supporting documents:
- AsTW 2020 Application Form*;
- An essay – “Why i want to join AsTW?” (800-1000 words);
- An official academic transcript of undergraduate study;
- A university or college diploma copy (for graduates only);
- A letter of recommendation (written by any academic staff member of home university other than a language instructor);
- An official document, which shows proof of enrolment, issued by home university;
- A Certificate of Health*; and
- A copy of an official English language test score (either TOEFL IBT-60 / CBT-173 / PBT-500 or IELTS (Academic) – Band 5.0 or PTE-41 or equivalent. Students without any official test score required to provide verification letter from home university as proof of the language proficiency)
*Go to http://isc.kyushu-u.ac.jp/astw/appl.html
JPY 159,200 (approximately USD 1,400 – 1,500)
The Kyushu University also provides scholarships for the selected participants mainly from ASEAN countries
For the details about AsTW 2020 program, please visit the website: http://www.isc.kyushu-u.ac.jp/astw or download the brochure and poster: http://bit.ly/astw2020.
For inquiries and submission of applications from universities in ASEAN countries, please e-mail:
Mr. Adi Yusran bin Mohamad Radzi (Email: email@example.com)
International Student Center, University of Malaya
Level 1, Block G Perdanasiswa Complex 50603 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Tel. +60-3-7967-7712 / Fax. +60-3-7967-7710
For inquiries and submission of applications from universities in non-ASEAN countries, please e-mail:
AsTW Office (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
International Student Exchange Division,
744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395 Japan
Tel. +81-92-802-2283 / Fax. +81-92-802-2287